Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Vegetarian Jambalaya

It is a rainy day here in Memphis so of course I am longing for my big warm bed and a huge bowl of yummy goodness.  The first meal that came to mind when I walked out of the door at 5 o'clock was vegetarian jambalaya. Jambalaya is one of my favorite comfort food dishes and in my opinion is perfect for a rainy day. When I first became a vegetarian I was restricted (mentally speaking) to the typical dishes. Salads, veggie burgers, vegetable stir fry, etc. It wasn't until I started experimenting with different recipes did I realize how many options vegetarians do have!

Vegetarian jambalaya is just one of the many recipes that you can simply substitute the meat for a meatless product. In my jambalaya I like to use Lightlife brand sausage. This "sausage" has a great consistency and a really good flavor too. Overall, this is quick and rather filling dinner idea. Check out the recipe below!

Vegetarian Jambalaya

 Ingredients

2 Lightlife Sausages
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1 cup chopped green peppers
1 cup baby kale
15 oz can black beans
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 cups water
28 oz can whole tomatoes
1 cup white rice (I use minute rice)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon red pepper
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 tablespoon dried parsley



Instructions
  1. Heat a pan to medium with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Chop the "sausage" and cook them until they are browned. Put them in a separate bowl off to the side. We will add it to the jambalaya later. 
  2. Using the same pan you cooked the "sausage" in saute the onions, peppers and garlic with another tablespoon of olive oil for about 5 minutes. 
  3. Crush/Blend the tomatoes until they are smooth. Add them to the pan with water, rice, kale and seasonings. Mix everything together. 
  4. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to low. 
  5. Let it simmer for 20 minutes. 
  6. Add the beans and "sausage" and cook uncovered for an additional 5 minutes.

Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment